Saturday, December 23, 2006

white christmas

Semester is over. I'm guaranteed a white christmas here in the north country and I'm really excited about it.

I'm starting to really appreciate the idea of a holiday- "A day free from work that one may spend at leisure, especially a day on which custom or the law dictates a halting of general business activity to commemorate or celebrate a particular event." (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/holiday).

A day set aside to stop and remember something or someone. Last year at this time I was pretty angry at the whole idea of Christmas, because it had become such a commercialized affair. I figure since I posted my thoughts about it last year, it'd be cool to do it this year too, just to see what a year has done.

I guess this year I'm kind of feeling different. I still think consumerism is a huge problem during this season, but I'm kind of liking some of the traditions of Christmas and the idea behind Christmas itself. If it doesn't go overboard into excess and greed, i think it can be a very uplifting occasion.

I'm trying to read through the old testament and I'm currently in Numbers. I don't have any real insights on it because it's honestly my first time actually reading it and I don't understand much of it. But there is something that has been sticking out to me about the first couple books of the old testament once God leads them out of Egypt. During the whole wilderness excursion, God constantly reminds moses (who, in turn, tries to remind the tribes) that God was the one who saved them and worked miracles among them. Yet the people still forgot. In fact, even though God already proved to them multiple times that He would lead them and that He was capable of saving them, they STILL wanted to have a go at their own way. With manna appearing with the dew every morning, they still stopped trusting. They didn't stop to remember. I guess, to me, they really needed holidays so they could stop being dumb and get their head on a little straighter(is that a word?) again. So when I read about an example of sorts, I was pretty excited. I thought it was really wise of God (go figure) to have time set aside to remember passover.

And here I am in the same position all the time. I want so badly at times to have Jesus in the forefront of my thoughts all the time. I want to remember His death and resurrection and the life that I now freely live in Him...to have the scales removed from my eyes and to see His blessings all around me, hints of His Holy Spirit moving in me and around me.

But there are many times that I simply don't stop long enough to remember Christ. I mean, I'll remember Him in my "quiet time" and right before I go to bed, but I know that life in Christ means all of my life every day, every hour, God with us. So whether I acknowledge it or not, when I put my faith in Christ, I was signing on for the ever present Immanuel, 24/7--- when I'm eating, sleeping, driving, watching tv, wasting time on a computer, walking in the woods, sitting in church, reading a good fantasy book (insert shameless plug for ERAGON here), playing guitar, doing homework, hanging out with amazing people, assisting my residents, and anything else. So many times in the midst of all these things, I lose sight of His goodness. I lose sight of the miracles He has worked in my life and those around me. Circumstances lead me to believe that He left me, that He's never coming back, and that He wouldn't love me enough to see me through.

Having a day to stop and remember the things He has done for us out of love for us is so good. The Jews needed it in the wilderness, and even still couldn't all get their act together. I need it now, even though I know one day couldn't possibly focus my thoughts for a life time. I want to stop this Christmas and remember that the God of the universe, the One who created flesh, actually allowed himself to become flesh and face the limitations thereof, so that he could give us yet another view of just how much He loves us and wants to be with us, and how far He'll go to bring us back to Him.

Long story short, I'm appreciating the idea of holidays more and seeing my need for a few of them. I kind of want to make the most of this upcoming one. I'm excited for the 25th, to remember, and praise Jesus Christ and celebrate that God is with us.


Have a good night! Mexico coming sooon!!! ahhhhhhh

-dave

1 comment:

Jeffffffffffffffff said...

aaaa Mexico aaaaa